The Hartford seeks energetic and passionate data science leaders to build and create best in class data science teams focused on industry leading modeling and analytic strategies. Our data science leaders play a significant role partnering with our businesses to better understand and improve the customer journey while evolving the teams capabilities to further develop impactful products and drive successful outcomes. As the Small Commercial AVP, you will develop a strategic roadmap for the data science community, collaborate with Small Commercial business leaders to understand their short and long term goals and drive the adoption of innovative products and solutions.
As an AVP, you will lead and create teams focused on best in industry modeling and analytic solutions supporting a wide range of business areas including underwriting, claims, operations, risk engineering, and digital analytics. Our AVPs mentor, guide, motivate teams in developing cutting edge solutions that feature engineering assets, experimental design, as well as a modeling techniques and abilities. Our Data Scientist toolbox consists of but not limited to predictive Modeling Techniques, Machine Learning, Cognitive Computing, Unsupervised learning, and Augmented intelligence. As a leader you will support and explore these assets through customer adoption and establishing a rhythm within the Data Science community.
- Oversee/develop a highly productive team of Data Scientist to develop, test, validate, and maintain robust tools using supervised and / or unsupervised techniques through new products and services, customer segments, and competitive strategies.
- Collaborate and partner with business stakeholders to establish a vision and create a culture that treats analytics as a cross corporate asset.
- Review work with leadership and partners on an ongoing basis to calibrate deliverables against expectations
- Identify long term opportunities within the customer journey through the creation of algorithms and machine learning techniques to achieve financial objectives and solve problems.
- Develop strategies to achieve targeted business objectives. Implement these strategies and follow through to successful conclusion.
- Consult on innovative risk strategies using proprietary systems/data sources to achieve extensive business goals and objectives
- Present complex modeling to decision-makers that maximizes knowledge transfer and bottom-line impact of modeling results
- Advance the departments capabilities by creating and deploying long term tools to continually evolve the business to compete with future market trends.
- Identify and assess the value of new data sources and analytical techniques to ensure ongoing competitive advantage
- Remain current on research techniques and state of the art tools
- Work with teams to implement protocols for the efficient capture/maintenance of data from numerous sources to maintain high data quality standards
- Evangelize analytics opportunities of the company with customers and business partners.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Statistics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science Quantitative Economics or other similar analytical field
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience in Research Function in Insurance or Financial Services or related field.
- 5+ years directing a team setting priorities and plans to meet business goals and objectives.
- Experience in large scale operations environments (Claim Centers Call Centers Manufacturing) a plus.
- Experience managing technical personnel in project based environment.
- Expert subject matter expertise in data modeling
- Strong strategic thinking and exceptional analytical capability
- Strong verbal/written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels across the organization
- Requires sophisticated business acumen in order to successfully translate complex technical topics into business solutions and strategies.
- Demonstrated track record of executing change to core business processes through the innovative use of quantitative techniques.
- Demonstrated project management experience
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
- Advanced negotiating influencing and conflict resolution skills at all organizational levels
- Drive and commitment to what is necessary to get the job done efficiently thoroughly and professionally.
- Innovative. Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
- Results-oriented. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
- Customer focused. Builds effective relationships with internal partners including claims actuarial underwriting operations and information technology